Hearty, soul-warming, low carb and really easy to make in your slow cooker. Enjoy!
- 5-6 bone-in chicken thighs with skin removed, about 1-1/2 lbs
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into discs
- 2 medium stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups low or no-sodium chicken broth (we use this)
- 1 cup cold water
- If your bone-in chicken thighs have skin, remove it and discard.
- Put the thighs into the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker. (we use this)
- Add all the garlic, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, olive oil, bay leaf, and salt and pepper.
- Finally pour in the chicken broth and water.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 7-8 hours.
- When done, remove cooked chicken thighs and place on a cutting board, Cut or shred into bite size pieces and return chicken to the soup.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Serves 6-8 depending on portion size
Each serving is estimated to have between 4-6 grams of net carbs.
Please note that the nutrition data is a ballpark figure. Exact data depends on your specific ingredients, the amounts you actually use and how you prepare the recipe. Consequently, I recommend you enter your own calculations into myfitnesspal.com for personal results.